When it comes to supporting our veterans, Heavy Equipment Colleges of America are proud to support the brave individuals who protect our country every day. We are thankful for the work you have done and believe you should be able to build a career you will love. With that in mind, we are happy to announce that all of our schools are eligible for Veterans Education Benefits, Post 9-11 GI Billtm. Get started with the training you need to begin your new career.

We have put together a list of the nine most common questions we receive regarding our military benefits. Take a look at the FAQs and feel free to reach out if you have additional questions that are not addressed below.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill

1. Who is eligible for benefits from the Post-9/11 GI Bill?
Veterans who have served on active duty for at least 90 aggregate days after Sept. 10, 2001, or those who have served at least 30 continuous days on active duty after Sept. 10, 2001, and received a discharge for disability. Additionally, officers who received ROTC scholarships or graduated from a service academy qualify for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits. Time spent satisfying the ROTC/service academy active duty obligation, however, does not count toward the active-duty service necessary to qualify for the benefits.

2. Am I eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill if I used all of my benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill?
If you used all 36 months of benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) but are eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, you could receive as many as 12 months of benefits under the post-9/11 GI Bill. You cannot receive more than a maximum of 48 months of benefits from any combination of Department of Veterans Affairs education programs, however, which means the grand total of months of aid cannot exceed 48, regardless of the bills under which the aid was utilized.

3. Can I use the Post-9/11 GI Bill while on active duty?
You can use Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits while on active duty. However, you cannot receive stipends for supplies and books nor receive a housing allowance. You must have completed a minimum of 90 days of service (in addition to basic training) and the tuition payment cannot exceed the amount not paid by military tuition assistance and/or the total amount of tuition and fees.

4. Does the Post-9/11 GI Bill pay for vocational training programs?
Yes, as long as they are offered by Institutions of Higher Learning.

5. How are benefits paid?
There are three different payments under the Post-9/11 GI Bill:

  • Tuition and fees, paid directly to the school, not to exceed the maximum in-state undergraduate tuition and fees at a public institution.
  • Monthly housing allowance, paid to the individual.
  • Books and supplies stipend, paid to the individual.

6. How Do I Apply?
Electronic application forms can be completed and submitted online at www.gibill.va.gov. If you cannot apply online, you can call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to have a form mailed to you.

You can also pick up an application form from the school you wish to attend. The VA certifying official at the school (usually located in the registrar or financial aid offices) should have them. The officials can help you complete them and will then submit them to Department of Veterans Affairs.

7. How long do I have to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits?
The Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits are payable for 15 years following the individual’s release from active duty.

8. What benefits does the Post-9/11 GI Bill pay for?

  • Tuition and Fees. Veterans may be eligible for full payment of their tuition and fees, not to exceed the maximum in-state undergraduate tuition and fees at a public Institution in the state in which the student is enrolled.
  • Housing Allowance. The housing allowance is equivalent to Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents, based on the ZIP code of the school where the student is enrolled. However, active duty service members, anyone enrolled half-time or less and those pursuing entirely distance learning are not eligible for the monthly housing allowance.
  • Books and Stipends. A books and supplies stipend of up to $1,000 per year can be paid, which is prorated based upon the student’s payment rate. Active duty members are not eligible for this payment.
  • Tutoring. Benefits for tutorial assistance or up to $2,000 for the reimbursement of one licensing or certification test is available.
  • Moving Costs. A one-time rural benefit payment of $500 to individuals who reside in a county with six persons or fewer per square mile (as determined by the most recent decennial census), and who either:
    • physically relocate at least 500 miles to attend an educational institution


  • relocate by air to attend an educational institution (if no other land-based transportation exists.)

9. Can I transfer my Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to my family?
A special provision of the program allows career service members the opportunity to share their education benefits with immediate family members. As long as you meet the requirements, the actual transfer process is easy. Please note you do have to be on active duty and be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill in order to transfer your benefits.

You also have to have been in the military for at least six years to be eligible to transfer your benefits. Your children will have to be registered in DEERS to receive your benefits. Your children will not be able to use the benefits until you have been in the military for 10 years and they have until they turn 26 years old to use the benefits. When they are ready to attend school they just need to go to the VONAPP website and apply for their GI Bill benefits.

For more information about how your military benefits will work with our training programs, please do not hesitate to reach out to day and speak with one of our experienced staff members.